Explore unprecedented opportunities in the booming field of business analytics.
With the increasing importance of business analytics, the talent to analyze and demystify Big Data is in growing demand.
The first of its kind in Canada, the Schulich Master of Business Analytics (MBAN) is a 12-month full-time program, designed to give you the tools and techniques to become an expert in this evolving, high-demand field.
The capstone of the program is an Analytics Consulting Project in which students will spend two terms working with real data in service to the community. Mirroring real-world “Big Data Competitions,” students will complete a hands-on, problem-driven analytics project and develop applicable business solutions using the resources of the state of the art Deloitte Cognitive Analytics and Visualization Lab. They will directly interface with industry leaders and develop both technical and organizational expertise.
All Schulich MBAN students are awarded the SAS™ (Statistical Analysis Software) certification upon completion of the program.
The MBAN is recognized by the Vector Institute for Artificial Intelligence as delivering a curriculum that equips its graduates with the skills and competencies sought by industry. All MBAN students may be eligible for merit based Vector Institute Scholarships valued at $17,500.
- Skip to program details Apply now
“By holistically bridging technology and business acuity, the MBAN program offered a powerful combination to position me for success. No other program compared to this in design and value.”
The Schulich Master of Business Analytics will provide you with the technical, quantitative expertise and strategic mindset to support data-driven business decision-making.
With increased data available via new technologies, many industries such as banking, healthcare, retail and e-commerce are acknowledging the importance of analytics and hiring specialized professionals to analyze big data, create value and drive decision-making.
As part of your MBAN career services you will also have access to the Centre for Career Design (CCD) and online access to year round job postings, career tools as well as corporate information sessions and CCD run events.
Our MBAN could lead you to an exciting career in an organization such as...
The Schulich MBAN in Numbers
55 Average Class Size
680 Average MBAN Class GMAT Score
SAS Certification for all graduates
MBAN Program Details by Category
Admission RequirementsView details Hide details
The general admission requirements for the MBAN are listed below. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission, as space in each program is limited. A holistic approach is taken during the application review process and all components of the application are thoroughly reviewed. Three-year degree holders who have strong results in relevant technical courses and have a year or more of professional work experience in data intensive computing may be considered for admission.
- A four-year undergraduate degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with a minimum B+ average in the last two full years (or equivalent) of academic work in one of the following subjects: Mathematics, Business, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering or Science. Undergraduate degree holders in other subject areas (Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities, Fine and Performing Arts, Education etc.) will be considered if they have completed a significant number of university courses in relevant topics (see list below). Successful applicants will have completed at least one university course on a listed topic, in two of the following categories.
- Introductory Statistics
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Introduction to Data Science
- Linear Algebra
- Introduction to Programming
- Introduction to Data Structures
- Introduction to Databases
- Data Mining
- Business Intelligence
- Data Management
- Data Science for Business
- Artificial Intelligence for Business
- Business Analytics
- Work Experience
- Post degree work experience is recommended but not required.
- Completion of the online application which requires:
- Proof of English language proficiency if studies were not completed in English.
|Accepted Tests||Minimum Score|
|IELTS (Academic Test)||7.0 overall (minimum 6.5 on each dimension)|
|TOEFL||100 iBT (minimum 23 on each dimension)
Schulich’s TOEFL code is B710 with Department Code 02
- Applicants who have completed at least two years of full-time study at an accredited university in a country (or institution) where English is the official language of instruction are not required to submit an English proficiency test.
- Strong applicants whose first language is not English and do not meet the above language requirements may be considered for admission with the condition of completion of the MBA/Specialized Master’s Preparation Program offered by the York University English Language Institute.
Students who have graduated from Schulich within the last five years are eligible for a $150 application fee waiver.
For more information please see our Application Tips.
The MBAN program is offered on a full-time basis only. The next MBAN program intake is May 2023 (Summer 2023).
|Entry||Round 1||Round 2||Round 3||Round 4*|
|May 2023||August 3, 2022||September 21, 2022||November 23, 2022||February 15, 2023|
*For domestic applicants only.
Please note: Students may only submit a single application. Students are not permitted to apply in multiple rounds or to multiple programs.
Tuition & FeesView details Hide details
Master of Business Analytics (MBAN) Program Fees
The MBAN is a full-time program consisting of three academic terms. A term is equivalent to one semester, or 12 weeks.
Fees below are based on the 2022-2023 fee framework, and are subject to change.
|Student Status||Full-Time Tuition per Term/Semester*
Charged in Summer, Fall and Winter.
|Estimated Program Total**
Current tuition fee multiplied by typical number of terms required for program completion.
Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant,
|$ 17,995||$ 54,000|
|$ 28,041||$ 84,100|
*Fees are rounded to the nearest dollar and include supplementary fees. For full details on all current tuition, supplementary fees, and student health plans refer to the Student Financial Services website: https://sfs.yorku.ca/fees/courses.
**Tuition fees have not yet been set for the 2023-2024 academic year. Program totals are estimates only and subject to change. The Estimated Program Total is calculated by multiplying current 2022 tuition fees by the standard number of terms required to complete the program. Program total estimates are rounded to the nearest $50.
Study OptionsView details Hide details
Curriculum OverviewView details Hide details
Students in the MBAN program will complete 45.00 credits, comprised of 39.00 credits of Core Courses and 6.00 credits of Elective Courses.
The course listing below reflects the intended program structure. Course requirements and sequencing are subject to change.View Program Requirements Hide Program Requirements
Term 1 (Summer)
Click on the course code to view the full description.
Note that course sequencing is subject to change.
- MBAN 5140 3.00 VISUAL ANALYTICS AND MODELLING
- MBAN 5330 3.00 BIG DATA FUNDAMENTALS AND APPLICATIONS
- MBAN 6110 3.00 DATA SCIENCE I
- MBAN 6200 3.00 REALIZING VALUE FROM AI AND ANALYTICS IN ORGANIZATIONS
Plus 3.00 credits of Elective Courses
Term 2 (Fall)
- MBAN 5110 3.00 PREDICTIVE MODELLING
- MBAN 6120 3.00 DATA SCIENCE II
- MGMT 6700 3.00 PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- MBAN 6090 6.00 ANALYTICS CONSULTING PROJECT
Plus 3.00 credits of Elective Courses
Term 3 (Winter)
- OMIS 6000 3.00 MODELS & APPLICATIONS IN OPERATIONAL RESEARCH
- ORGS 6500 3.00 INTERPERSONAL MANAGERIAL SKILLS
- GS/PHIL 5340 3.00 ETHICS AND SOCIETAL IMPLICATIONS OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
Plus 3.00 credits of Elective Courses
NOTE: MBAN 6090 6.00 spans Terms 2 and 3. Students will enrol in Fall and continue the course in Term 3 (Winter).
Subject to availability.
- ACTG 5210 1.50 MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING
- ECON 6210 3.00 ECONOMIC FORECASTING AND ANALYSIS
- FINE 6310 3.00 APPLICATIONS OF DATA SCIENCE IN FINANCE
- FNSV 6700 3.00 MANAGEMENT OF RISK IN FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS
- FNSV 6990 1.50 ENTERPRISE RISK MANAGEMENT & STRATEGY
- MBAN 6500 3.00 ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IN BUSINESS I
- MBAN 6510 3.00 ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IN BUSINESS II
- MKTG 6050 3.00 MARKETING RESEARCH
- MKTG 6150 3.00 CONSUMER BEHAVIOUR
- MKTG 6250 3.00 BUSINESS MARKETING
- MKTG 6300 3.00 SERVICE MARKETING
- MKTG 6360 3.00 MARKETING METRICS
- OMIS 6350 3.00 ADVANCED SPREADSHEET MODELLING & PROGRAMMING FOR BUSINESS
- OMIS 6560 3.00 SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
- OMIS 6610 3.00 DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION IN SERVICES
- OMIS 6955 3.00 SERVICE OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
- ORGS 6350 3.00 MANAGING CHANGE
- ORGS 6560 3.00 NEGOTIATIONS
FacultyView details Hide details
Faculty members teaching in the Business Analytics program come from a wide range of backgrounds, including engineering, business, mathematics, statistics and information systems. They have extensive experience in business and industry, and regularly act as consultants and advisors to both private and public organizations.
Program faculty members
Julian Scott Yeomans
Professor of Operations Management and Information Systems; Director, Master of Business Analytics; Director, Master of Management in Artificial IntelligenceView profile
Professor of Operations Management & Information SystemsView profile
Associate Professor of Operations Management and Information Systems; York Research Chair in Managing AI-Driven Technologies in Health CareView profile
Richard H. Irving
Professor Emeritus of Operations Management and Information SystemsView profile
Henry M. Kim
Associate Professor of Operations Management and Information Systems; Co-Director, BlockchainLabView profile
Associate Professor of Operations Management and Information Systems; Director, Centre of Excellence in Analytics & AI Leadership, Schulich Executive Education Centre; Special Advisor, AI & Business AnalyticsView profile
Professor of Operations Management and Information Systems; CPA Ontario Chair in International Entrepreneurship; Co-director of Entrepreneurial StudiesView profile
Zhepeng (Lionel) Li
Associate Professor of Operations Management and Information SystemsView profile
Deloitte Data Scientist; Adjunct Professor, Master of Business Analytics and Master of Management in Artificial IntelligenceView profile
Lecturer, Master of Business Analytics and Master of Management in Artificial IntelligenceView profile
Professor of Analytics and Modelling for Healthcare; Adjunct Professor, Master of Management in Artificial Intelligence (MMAI) Program and Master of Business Analytics (MBAN) Program; President, DHE Consulting; Managing Partner, illuminaiteView profile
Assistant Professor of Operations Management and Information SystemsView profile
Advisory BoardView details Hide details
The MBAN Advisory Board is made up of industry leaders from the following companies:
Student ClubsView details Hide details
Lead a club, participate on a sports team, attend a conference, join the Graduate Business Council or compete in case competitions. At Schulich you’ll have numerous opportunities to make new friends and enrich your formal, in-class learning with extracurricular activities, both on and off campus.
External PartnersView details Hide details
CI Financial Internships Initiative
CI Financial is a diversified global wealth and asset management company with over $364 billion (as of October 2022) of assets under management/administration. Since 1965, CI Financial has consistently anticipated and responded to the changing needs of investors, driven by a commitment to provide individuals and institutions with the highest-quality investments and advice.
The goal of this initiative is to leverage the strengths and synergies of the two organizations to bring real world learning experiences to students through internships, innovative projects, and industry events. Two team projects in business analytics are already underway this fall.