A Heritage of Breaking New Ground
Schulich has achieved its status as Canada’s preeminent business school by being ahead of the curve, anticipating new and developing trends in business. Here are some of the key milestones celebrating Schulich’s transformational role as thought leader, breaking new ground in management education globally.
- York’s Faculty of Administrative Studies (FAS) established.
- Part-time MBA study option created (the first in Canada).
- Six month MBA Strategy Study created (the first in Canada).
- Official opening of FAS.
- September 1966: first students admitted.
- First convocation of FAS (admitted with advanced standing).
- Schulich Executive Education division founded.
- Graduation of the first MBA and BBA classes.
- MBA Arts & Media Administration specialization created (the first in Canada).
- PhD Program established.
- MBA/LLB Program established (the first in Canada).
- Dezso J Horvath appointed Dean of School (now serving an unprecedented 27th year as Dean). He begins to establish Schulich as Canada’s Global Business School.
- MIT-York Enterprise Forum created.
- East/West Enterprise Exchange Program launched.
- Annual “CEO Back to Campus” event launched.
- Nonprofit Management and Leadership Program established (the first in Canada).
- International MBA (IMBA) established (first in Canada).
- Real Property Development (now known as Real Estate and Infrastructure) specialization established (the first in Canada).
- Erivan K. Haub Program in Business & Sustainability established (the first in Canada).
- Downtown campus established at King and Bay (named the Miles S. Nadal Management Centre in 1996).
- Financial Services Program established (the first in Canada).
- FAS name changed to Schulich School of Business in honour of distinguished benefactor Seymour Schulich.
- Financial Engineering specialization established (the first in Canada).
- The Toronto International Leadership Centre for Financial Sector Supervision established in partnership with the World Bank and the Canadian Government (the first in the world).
- Joint MBA/MFA and MBA/MA(Fine Arts) established.
- The Sustainable Enterprise Academy (SEA) established (the first in Canada).
- International BBA (iBBA) established (the first in Canada).
- e-Business Specialzation established.
- Joint Kellogg-Schulich Executive MBA (EMBA) established (the first cross-border EMBA).
- New Schulich School of Business Keele complex opened, a $102 million award-winning complex.
- New Schulich Executive Learning Centre opened.
- MBA specialization in Health Industry Management (HIMP) established.
- Schulich International Satellite Centre opened in Beijing, China.
- Schulich International Satellite Centres opened in Mumbai, India, and in Seoul, South Korea.
- Schulich International Satellite Centre opened in Shanghai, China.
- Bata Shoe Foundation establishes the Thomas J. Bata Lecture Series on Responsible Capitalism.
- Schulich India MBA Program officially launched in India and Toronto Centre for Excellence opened.
- Establishment of the Hennick Centre for Business and Law.
- Schulich’s one year Master of Finance (MF) Program established.
- The Economist ranks Schulich among the top 10 schools in the world.
- The Master of Business Analytics (MBAN) established (the first in Canada).
- The MBA specialization in Global Mining Management launched.
- The Centre for Global Enterprise launched.
- Schulich opens its Hyderabad campus.
- Schulich ranked #1 in the world in teaching responsible business by Corporate Knights.
- Planning begins on the new Schulich building complex for graduate students and research.
- Schulich’s 50th Anniversary celebration begins, bringing together 27,000 alumni in over 90 countries.
- Schulich breaks ground on new, $50-million Graduate Studies & Research Building.
- Schulich launches a Master of Management (MMGT) degree program.
- Oxford University Press publishes Re-Imagining Capitalism, a book that Schulich produces in collaboration with McKinsey & Company that features some of of the world’s leading academics, global executives and NGO leaders.
- Schulich hosts the global launch of the book Re-Imagining Capitalism at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
- Schulich launches a Master of Real Estate & Infrastructure (MREI) degree program – the first of its kind in the world.
- Schulich launches Master of Marketing (MMKG) and Master of Supply Chain Management (MSCM) degree programs.
- Schulich selected to host the Global Sustainable Infrastructure Fellows Program – a G7 global initiative.
- Schulich opens its award-winning Rob and Cheryl McEwen Graduate Study & Research Building.
- Schulich launches Master of Management in Artificial Intelligence (MMAI) degree program.
- Schulich establishes the Centre for Customer Centricity.
- Schulich establishes the George Weston Ltd Centre for Sustainable Supply Chains.
- Canada’s longest-serving Dean, Dezsö Horváth, steps down and Detlev Zwick is appointed Schulich’s Interim Dean.
- Schulich’s Leading Change campaign surpasses its $50 Million fundraising goal.
- Detlev Zwick is appointed to a five-year term as Dean of Schulich.
- Schulich launches the Krembil Centre for Health Management and Leadership.
- Schulich creates TOGETHER 2021 Entrepreneurship Bootcamp.
- Schulich launches a new MBA program option – The Weekend and Evening MBA.
- Schulich establishes the Dean’s Leadership Dialogues.