Build your career on a solid foundation.
The 12-month full-time Master of Real Estate and Infrastructure (MREI) is the first graduate program in Canada that offers a combination of courses in both Real Estate and Infrastructure. The program builds upon the quality and reputation of the MBA specialization in Real Estate and Infrastructure, which was established in 1991.
The MREI integrates leadership development with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking and development, investment and financing of real estate and infrastructure. It combines classroom learning with a one-of-a-kind co-curricular experience, creating strong connections between theory and practical application and capitalizing on a diverse network of alumni and other industry participants.
The comprehensive curriculum examines valuation techniques, legal and regulatory frameworks, investment and business structures and the project life cycle. Students will have opportunities to further explore their professional interests with elective courses in specialized topics.
The backbone of the curriculum is a leadership development course that runs throughout the three terms and integrates learning from the myriad aspects of the student experience.
- Skip to program details Apply now
“The exposure to industry leaders throughout the program was second to none. As guest speakers or lecturers, senior executives spoke candidly about their experiences and opinions on a wide variety of topics, offering valuable insights into sides of their business that are not regularly discussed.”
The MREI will address a significant resource need in both the Real Estate and infrastructure sectors for qualified professionals and entrepreneurs – city builders capable of contributing to what is recognized as the single largest industry in the region (when combining real estate and infrastructure, measured by percent of GDP).
Throughout the MREI program, you will also have access to the Career Development Centre (CDC). As Schulich’s in-house team of certified Career Coaches and Industry Advisors, the CDC offers a wealth of innovative programs, resources and individualized coaching to help you launch your career. Meet alumni, recruiters and industry leaders at corporate information sessions and other CDC events and enjoy online access to the very best career tools available
MREI graduates work in real estate and infrastructure development, investment and portfolio management, project finance and consulting. They are employed by developers, real estate investment trusts, pension funds and advisory firms, financial institutions, brokerage and consulting firms. Some are entrepreneurs launching their own firms.Visit the Career Development Centre
Our MREI could lead you to an exciting career in an organization such as...
MREI Program Details by Category
Admission RequirementsView details Hide details
The general admission requirements for the MREI are listed below. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission, as space in each program is limited. A holistic approach is taken during the application review process and all components of the application are thoroughly reviewed.
- An undergraduate degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with a minimum B average in the last two full years (or equivalent) of academic work.
- Applicants with 3-year degrees may be considered for admission with a minimum of one year of work experience.
- Work Experience
- One year of full-time, post-graduate work experience required for applicants holding 3-year degrees.
- Relevant full-time work experience of 2 – 5 years is strongly preferred.
- Completion of the online application which requires:
- Essays (2 written, 1 timed written, 2 video)
- An up-to-date resume
- Two references
- Unofficial copies of transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions*
- Unofficial copies of GMAT or GRE scores*
*Official copies of these documents will be required if an applicant receives an offer to the program. See Revised GRE/GMAT policy for Fall 2019 entry below.
- Proof of English language proficiency if studies were not completed in English.
|Accepted Tests||Minimum Score|
|IELTS (Academic Test)||7.0 overall (minimum 6.5 on each dimension)|
|TOEFL||100 iBT (minimum 23 on each dimension)
Schulich’s TOEFL code is B710 with Department Code 02
- Applicants who have completed at least two years of full-time study at an accredited university in a country (or institution) where English is the official language of instruction are not required to submit an English proficiency test.
- Strong applicants whose first language is not English and do not meet the above language requirements may be considered for admission with the condition of completion of the MBA/Specialized Master’s Preparation Program offered by the York University English Language Institute.
Revised GRE/GMAT policy:
The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are not required upon submission of your application. However, submission of these test scores:
- Is optional should you wish to provide further evidence of academic potential.
- May be requested by the Admissions Committee if further evidence of academic performance is required.
Those who have graduated from a Schulich degree-granting program within the last five years are eligible for the following:
- A $150 application fee waiver
For more information please see our Application Tips.
The MREI program is offered on a full-time basis only.
|Entry||Round 1||Round 2*||Round 3||Round 4**|
|September 2020||November 15, 2019||January 15, 2020||March 12, 2020||April 30, 2020|
*International students are strongly encouraged to apply by Round 2 to allow for sufficient study permit processing time.
** Late applications may be accepted pending space availability.
Please note: Your GMAT/GRE score and responses from your referees can be completed after your application has been submitted.
Students may only submit a single application. Students are not permitted to apply in multiple rounds or to multiple programs.
Tuition & FeesView details Hide details
Master of Real Estate and Infrastructure (MREI) Program Fees
The MREI is a full-time program consisting of three academic terms.
Fees are subject to change.
|Student Status||Tuition Per Term
Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant,
*Fees are rounded to the nearest dollar and include essential supplementary fees. For details on student health plans and non-essential fees, refer to the Student Financial Services website: https://sfs.yorku.ca/fees/courses.
Study OptionsView details Hide details
Curriculum OverviewView details Hide details
The program offers a highly structured curriculum emphasizing leadership and outside-the-box thinking. Students will acquire not only subject expertise but also the integrative skills necessary to manage projects and advance their careers. Course work is delivered through a combination of lectures and assignments, with the extensive involvement of industry experts.
The MREI will require students to complete 42.00 credits over three consecutive terms that coincide with the Schulich academic calendar. In the first two terms, all students will enroll in a set of core courses that cover both real estate and infrastructure with the option of taking electives in either industry during the third term. The third term is also highlighted by a workshop experience that focuses on collaboration and creative thinking.
Note: Course sequencing is subject to change.View Program Requirements Hide Program Requirements
15.00 Course Credits
Click on the course code to view the full description.
- PROP 6001 0.00 LEADERSHIP IN REAL ESTATE AND INFRASTRUCTURE I
- PROP 6100 3.00 REAL ESTATE FINANCE & INVESTMENT
- PROP 6150 3.00 ECONOMIC FORCES SHAPING THE CITY
- PROP 6200 3.00 DEVELOPMENT PROTOTYPES
- PROP 6300 3.00 PARTNERSHIP MODELS FOR INFRASTRUCTURE DELIVERY
- PROP 6750 3.00 FINANCING LARGE SCALE INFRASTRUCTURE
15.00 Course Credits (1 elective and 5 core courses)
- PROP 6002 0.00 LEADERSHIP IN REAL ESTATE AND INFRASTRUCTURE II
- PROP 6050 3.00 CHANGING LANDSCAPES - HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVES ON THE INDUSTRY
- PROP 6450 3.00 LIFE OF A PROJECT
- PROP 6550 3.00 SUSTAINABLE CITIES - URBANIZATION INFRASTRUCTURE & STRATEGIC CHOICES
- PROP 6850 3.00 STRUCTURING DEVELOPMENT TRANSACTIONS
Choose one of:
15.00 Course Credits (1 elective and 2 core courses)*
Mandatory for all students
Choose one of:
* Courses taken during Term 3 will be offered on evenings and weekends. Students will be encouraged to pursue internships or undertake research during Term 3 to enhance experienced-based learning.
FacultyView details Hide details
Led by Professors Andre Kuzmicki and James McKellar, in consultation with an advisory board of industry leaders, Schulich’s Real Estate and Infrastructure program is unique among Canadian business schools.
Program faculty members
Professor of Real Estate and Infrastructure; Associate Dean, External RelationsView profile
Assistant Professor in Brookfield Centre Real Estate and InfrastructureView profile
Associate Professor, Brookfield Centre in Real Estate & InfrastructureView profile
Director and Timothy R. Price Chair, Brookfield Centre in Real Estate & InfrastructureView profile
Student ClubsView details Hide details
Schulich Real Estate and Infrastructure Club (SREIC)
Open to all Schulich students interested in the Real Estate and Infrastructure industries, the SREIC is a student-run club that acts as a “bridge” between academics and business. Its mission is to provide students with the opportunity to learn about the Real Estate and Infrastructure industries though interaction with industry professionals. Specifically, the SREIC encourages its members to participate in the annual Perspectives Lecture held downtown, invites members to industry conferences, hosts guest speakers and more. Members also have access to exclusive job postings and can include their resume in the sought-after Resume Book. In addition, the Real Estate and Infrastructure community at Schulich is active in competitions: during the 2013-2014 academic year, members of the SREIC including executives, placed 2nd in the regional Developers’ Den competition and 3rd in the international ARGUS Software University Challenge.