A specialized professional degree to develop managers, leaders and innovators who can tackle today's healthcare challenges.
The 12-month Master of Health Industry Administration (MHIA) is a highly specialized 34.5-credit full-time program designed to provide the in-depth knowledge and skills necessary to navigate and manage in a highly complex and competitive field that encompasses business, government, and not-for-profit organizations.
The Canadian healthcare system, along with others around the world, requires major transformational changes to adapt to limited financial resources, an aging population, and the emergence and adoption of new delivery models and technologies, including artificial intelligence, business analytics, and virtual care.
The MHIA combines Schulich’s strengths of leading-edge management education with our specialized expertise in the field of healthcare administration. Building on Schulich’s existing Health Industry Management specialization and graduate diploma, along with a diverse alumni pool and wide range of sector partners, this highly applied professional program will integrate leadership development with a focus on strategic thinking, systems design, healthcare quality, and value-creation.
The MHIA curriculum is designed by faculty within Schulich’s newly created Krembil Centre for Health Management & Leadership, a holistic initiative designed to promote thought leadership in the field of health leadership and management through education, applied research, and industry collaboration.
The program has established a number of prestigious scholarships, including the Robert Krembil Scholarship of Merit, worth approximately $60,000, which will go to one MHIA student each year, as well as the Dr. L. O. Bradley Leadership Entrance Award, given annually to two students, and the Benoît Lauzé Scholarship of Excellence.
- Skip to program details Apply now
“Healthcare has been undergoing rapid change and innovation, and recent developments have underscored significant challenges and opportunities, particularly the indispensable role of specialized education in providing the next generation of leadership and managers.”
Schulich’s Master of Health Industry Administration (MHIA) will prepare you with the leadership and management skills needed to thrive and make a difference in a transformational industry, in both the public and private spheres. As part of your MHIA career services you will also have access to the Centre for Career Design (CCD) and online access to year-round job postings, career tools, as well as corporate information sessions and CCD-run events.Visit the Centre for Career Design
Our MHIA could lead you to an exciting career in an organization such as...
MHIA Program Details by Category
Admission RequirementsView details Hide details
The general admission requirements for the MHIA are listed below. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission, as space in each program is limited. A holistic approach is taken during the application review process and all components of the application are thoroughly reviewed.
- An undergraduate degree from a recognized post-secondary institution, with a minimum B+ average in the last two full years (or equivalent) of academic work.
- Work Experience is not required, but considered for admission.
- One year of full-time, post-graduate work experience is required for applicants holding 3-year degrees.
- Completion of the online application which requires:
- Essays (2 written, 1 timed written, 2 video)
- An up-to-date resume
- Two references (at least one academic reference is recommended)
- Unofficial copies of transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions*
*Official copies of transcripts will be required if an applicant receives an offer to the program
Applicants are NOT required to take the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Proof of English language proficiency if studies were not completed in English.
|Accepted Tests||Minimum Score|
|IELTS (Academic Test)||7.0 overall (minimum 6.5 on each dimension)|
|TOEFL||100 iBT (minimum 23 on each dimension)
Schulich’s TOEFL code is B710 with Department Code 02
- Applicants who have completed at least two years of full-time study at an accredited university in a country (or institution) where English is the official language of instruction are not required to submit an English proficiency test.
- Strong applicants whose first language is not English and do not meet the above language requirements may be considered for admission with the condition of completion of the MBA/Specialized Master’s Preparation Program offered by the York University English Language Institute.
The Master of Health Industry Administration is offered on a full-time basis only. Full-time studies start in September.
|Entry||Round 1*||Round 2||Round 3**|
|September 2023||February 15, 2023||April 12, 2023||June 7, 2023|
* International students are strongly encouraged to apply by Round 1 to allow for sufficient study permit processing time
** Late applications may be accepted pending space availability.
Apply Now! View MHIA Program Details Tuition Fees and Costs
Admission Events Application Tips
Please note: Responses from referees can be completed after the application has been submitted.
Students may only submit a single application. Students are not permitted to apply in multiple rounds or to multiple programs.
Tuition & FeesView details Hide details
Master of Health Industry Administration (MHIA) Program Fees
The MHIA is a full-time program consisting of three academic terms. A term is equivalent to one semester, or 12 weeks.
Fees below are based on the 2022-2023 fee framework, and are subject to change.
|Student Status||Full-Time Tuition per Term/Semester*
Charged in Fall, Winter, and Summer.
|Estimated Program Total**
Current tuition fee multiplied by typical number of terms required for program completion.
Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant,
|$ 12,465||$ 37,400|
|$ 28,041||$ 84,100|
*Fees are rounded to the nearest dollar and include supplementary fees. For full details on all current tuition, supplementary fees, and student health plans refer to the Student Financial Services website: https://sfs.yorku.ca/fees/courses.
**Tuition fees have not yet been set for the 2023-2024 academic year. Program totals are estimates only and subject to change. The Estimated Program Total is calculated by multiplying current 2022 tuition fees by the standard number of terms required to complete the program. Program total estimates are rounded to the nearest $50.
Study OptionsView details Hide details
Curriculum OverviewView details Hide details
The MHIA program is comprised of 34.50 credits of core courses.
Students are eligible for graduation upon their successful completion of 34.50 credits. Expand the menu below to see detailed curriculum requirements.
The course listing below reflects the intended program structure. Course requirements and sequencing are subject to change.View Program Requirements Hide Program Requirements
Term 1 (Fall)
Click on the course code to view the full description.
- MHIA 5000 1.50 FALL WORKSHOP: OVERVIEW OF CANADIAN HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY
- MHIA 5130 1.50 PREVENTATIVE HEALTHCARE
- ACTG 5200 3.00 FINANCIAL DECISIONS FOR MANAGERS
- MKTG 5201 3.00 MARKETING MANAGEMENT FOR HEALTHCARE
- MSTM 5210 3.00 DESIGN AND MANAGEMENT OF ORGANIZATIONAL PROCESSES
Term 2 (Winter)
- MHIA 5500 1.50 WINTER WORKSHOP: LEADERSHIP AND STRATEGY IN CANADIAN HEALTHCARE
- MHIA 5140 1.50 DIGITAL HEALTH
- OMIS 5150 1.50 ANALYTICS AND MODELLING FOR HEALTHCARE
- MHIA 6120 3.00 LEADERSHIP & HEALTHCARE STRATEGY
- HIMP 6150 3.00 ECONOMICS OF HEALTHCARE
- MHIA 6160 1.50 QUALITY AND VALUE IN HEALTHCARE
Term 3 (Summer)
- MHIA 6000 1.50 SUMMER WORKSHOP: HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS AND PUBLIC POLICY
- MHIA 6170 1.50 PERFORMANCE INDICATORS IN HEALTHCARE
- HIMP 6180 3.00 ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INNOVATION IN HEALTHCARE
- MHIA 6200 1.50 PUBLIC POLICY FOR HEALTHCARE
- MHIA 6100 3.00 STRATEGY CONSULTING STUDY IN HEALTHCARE
FacultyView details Hide details
Program faculty members
Adjunct Professor; Executive Director Health Industry Management ProgramView profile
Professor of Analytics and Modelling for Healthcare; Adjunct Professor, Master of Management in Artificial Intelligence (MMAI) Program and Master of Business Analytics (MBAN) Program; President, DHE Consulting; Managing Partner, illuminaiteView profile
Sylvia H. Hsu
Associate Professor of AccountingView profile
Professor of Marketing; Associate Dean, Research; Anne & Max Tanenbaum Chair in Entrepreneurship and Family EnterpriseView profile
Professor of Operations Management and Information Systems; Program Director, Master of Supply Chain ManagementView profile
Distinguished Adjunct Professor; Director, Strategy Field Study; Coordinator, Skills for LeadershipView profile
Director, York Consulting Group; Associate Director, Strategy Field Study; Sessional InstructorView profile
Krembil Centre for Health Management & LeadershipView details Hide details
Students in Schulich’s MHIA program benefit from exclusive access to extracurricular and experiential learning opportunities offered by the Krembil Centre for Health Management & Leadership. Established in June 2020, the Krembil Centre for Health Management & Leadership is a leading hub of education, applied research and industry outreach at the Schulich School of Business. It combines excellent academic training, knowledge transfer and applied research with sector impact to advance the calibre of management and leadership in the burgeoning health industry.
The Centre helps to connect Schulich students and alumni to partners in industry, government, and non-profit sectors through practitioner conferences, research forums, networking events, and guest speaker engagements, among other activities.