Looking for Coders, Innovators and AI Visionaries
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is undergoing a landmark evolution, transforming the private and public sectors. As organizations adopt and invest in AI technology, a new style of management is needed – one that that pairs a leader’s vision with a scientist’s mastery over a growing body of specialized knowledge.
The 12-month full-time Master of Management in Artificial Intelligence (MMAI)* is designed to meet the growing need for talented professionals with the skills and advanced applied knowledge to develop, evaluate, refine and implement AI-related applications and technologies.
The immersive curriculum offers a technical foundation in natural language processing, computational methods and modeling, paired with core business skills. Students will explore a critically evolving ethical landscape as they confront moral topics in AI, such as algorithmic bias, data privacy and intelligent agent autonomy.
The capstone Artificial Intelligence Consulting Project (AICP) provides students with an opportunity to solve a significant business problem by designing an AI-centered approach. Working in the Deloitte Cognitive Analytics and Visualization Lab student teams will deliver a solution to a client organization, interacting with industry managers, technicians, suppliers and other stakeholders.
The MMAI is recognized by the Vector Institute for Artificial Intelligence as delivering a curriculum that equips its graduates with the skills and competencies sought by industry. All MMAI students are eligible for Vector Institute Scholarships valued at $17,500.
* Note: The program fee structure is subject to approval from the York University Board of Governors and Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development. Until approval from the Ministry has been received, students are not eligible for OSAP.
- Skip to program details Apply now
“In the coming decade, the demand for talented individuals with management skills and knowledge of advanced AI applications will continue to grow exponentially. The Schulich MMAI program will produce well-rounded managers who have the potential to become leaders in the fast-growing, transformative field of AI.”
The MMAI will produce creative problem-solvers equipped to leverage AI in business, non-profit, governmental or start-up organizations. Graduates will possess a competitive combination of management skills, technical expertise and the ethical sensibilities required to execute solutions to business challenges.
Career support is embedded throughout the MMAI program journey, with structured training in areas such as personal branding and case interview preparation. Students will grow their expertise in Apache Hadoop, Structured Query Language (SQL), Tableau Data Visualization and Microsoft Azure.
Your dedicated professional MMAI career coach: As a certified professional coach, Gina Pagiamtzis works closely with MMAI students and alumni on career strategies, as well as developing and delivering customized career workshops and events emphasizing Personal Branding, Cultural Intelligence, Job Search Strategy, Career Decision Making, and Career Advancement.
As part of your MMAI career services you will also have access to the Career Development Centre (CDC), providing you with online access to year-round job postings and career tools as well as corporate information sessions and CDC-run events.Visit the Career Development Centre
Our MMAI could lead you to an exciting career in an organization such as...
MMAI Program Details by Category
Admission RequirementsView details Hide details
The general admission requirements for the MMAI are listed below. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission, as space in the program is limited. A holistic approach is taken during the application review process and all components of the application are thoroughly reviewed.
- An undergraduate degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with a minimum B+ average in the last two full years (or equivalent) of academic work.
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Acceptable scores on all measures of the GMAT or GRE
- To send your scores for these tests to us please use the following codes: GMAT code Z75-X8-87 or GRE code 5697
GMAT may be waived for exceptional candidates
- Work Experience
- Not required but internships or prior experience is recommended
- Completion of the online application which requires:
- Proof of English language proficiency if studies were not completed in English.
|Accepted Tests||Minimum Score|
|IELTS (Academic Test)||7.0 overall (minimum 6.5 on each dimension)|
|TOEFL (Schulich’s TOEFL Code is B710)||100 iBT (minimum 23 on each dimension)|
- Applicants who have completed at least two years of full-time study at an accredited university in a country (or institution) where English is the official language of instruction are not required to submit an English proficiency test.
- Strong applicants whose first language is not English and do not meet the above language requirements may be considered for admission with the condition of completion of the MBA/Specialized Master’s Preparation Program offered by the York University English Language Institute.
*Official copies of these documents will be required if an applicant receives an offer to the program
For more information please see our Application Tips.
The Master of Management in Artificial Intelligence is offered on a full-time basis only. Full time studies start in September.
|Entry||Round 1*||Round 2||Round 3**|
|September 2019||May 22, 2019||June 14, 2019||July 26, 2019|
*International students are encouraged to apply in Round 1. International students are still welcome to apply after this date and will be considered for admission pending space in the program. Please keep in mind that you must have enough time to apply for a study permit if you are granted an offer.
**For domestic applicants only. Late international applications are accepted pending space availability.
Please note: Responses from referees can be completed after the application has been submitted.
Students may only submit a single application. Students are not permitted to apply in multiple rounds or to multiple programs.
Tuition & FeesView details Hide details
Master of Management in Artificial Intelligence (MMAI) Program Fees
The full-time Master of Management in Artificial Intelligence is completed over three terms. The following reflects tuition fees for students entering the program in Fall 2019.
Figures represent a program estimate based on the currently approved fee framework. Fees are subject to change.
|Student Status||Estimated Program Tuition Total*
Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant,
*Estimated total tuition fees are rounded to the nearest $100. Figures exclude all ancillary and/or student referenda fees charged by York University. For the most up to date supplementary fee information please refer to the Student Financial Services website: https://sfs.yorku.ca/fees/courses.
Study OptionsView details Hide details
Curriculum OverviewView details Hide details
The MMAI program is comprised of 45.00 credits of core courses.
In addition to the curriculum requirements outlined below, the MMAI program is preceded by the following pre-start program:
- Satisfactory completion of online course modules in Udemy© Calculus, Statistics and Computer Science
Students are eligible for graduation upon their successful completion of 45.00 credits. Expand the menu below to see detailed curriculum requirements.View Program Requirements Hide Program Requirements
Term 1 (Fall)
Click on the course code to view the full description.
- MMAI 5000 3.00 ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE FUNDAMENTALS
- MMAI 5100 3.00 DATABASE FUNDAMENTALS
- MMAI 5200 3.00 ALGORITHMS FOR BUSINESS ANALYSIS
- MGMT 6300 3.00 CASE ANALYSIS AND PRESENTATION SKILLS
- GS/PHIL 5340 3.00 ETHICS AND SOCIETAL IMPLICATIONS OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
Term 2 (Winter)
- MMAI 5040 3.00 BUSINESS APPLICATIONS OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE I
- MBAN 5140 3.00 VISUAL ANALYTICS AND MODELLING
- MMAI 5300 3.00 NUMERICAL METHODS AND ANALYSIS
- MMAI 6050 6.00 AI CONSULTING PROJECT
- ORGS 6350 3.00 MANAGING CHANGE
NOTE: MMAI 6050 6.00 spans Terms 2 and 3. Students will enrol in Winter and continue the course in Term 3 (Summer).
Term 3 (Summer)
FacultyView details Hide details
Program faculty members
Associate Professor of Operations Management and Information Systems; Director, Master of Business Analytics (MBAN) Program; Director, Master of Management in Artificial Intelligence (MMAI) ProgramView profile
Professor of Operations Management & Information SystemsView profile
Assistant Professor of Operations Management and Information SystemsView profile
Wade D. Cook
Professor of Operations Management and Information Systems; Gordon Charlton Shaw Professor of Management ScienceView profile
Richard H. Irving
Associate Professor of Operations Management and Information Systems; Area Coordinator, Operations Management and Information SystemsView profile
Program Director, Master of Supply Chain Management; Professor of Operations Management and Information SystemsView profile
Henry M. Kim
Associate Professor of Operations Management and Information Systems; Co-Director, BlockchainLabView profile
Professor of Operations Management and Information Systems; CPA Ontario Chair in International Entrepreneurship; Co-director of Entrepreneurial StudiesView profile
Zhepeng (Lionel) Li
Assistant Professor of Operations Management and Information SystemsView profile
Professor of Operations Management and Information SystemsView profile