This integrative specialization emphasizes applying and synthesizing concepts and techniques from the various functional areas of accounting, finance, managerial economics, marketing, operations management, and organizational behaviour in the context of strategy making. Courses aim to develop students’ ability to 1) Identify and analyze critical threats and opportunities confronting an organization, 2) Make recommendations for the development and use of the firm’s resources, and 3) Most effectively utilize an organization’s capabilities to ensure its success.
Specialization Details by Category
Career OpportunitiesView details Hide details
The Strategic Management specialization prepares students to become thoughtful, reflective and decisive future managers equipped for the real work of an executive in the various functional areas of accounting, finance, managerial economics and marketing.
The Schulich Career Development Centre
Your career is top priority at Schulich. To make career decisions that are right for you, the CDC will help you identify strengths, determine career objectives, develop career plans, hone skills for career management and put your professional development plan into action.
- Our highly experienced CDC Advisors bring a unique combination of first-hand knowledge, experience and diverse perspectives in a wide variety of businesses and industry sectors.
- Take advantage of a series of proven career-building modules, including up-to-date Job Search Techniques, Self-Assessment, Resume and Cover Letter Writing, and Interview Skills to help you stand out from the competition.
- Corporate Information Sessions offer you an opportunity to meet top level recruiters, alumni and executives.Visit the Career Development Centre
Study OptionsView details Hide details
Specialization RequirementsView details Hide details
To specialize in Strategic Management enrol in 12.00 credits as outlined below:
- 3.00 credits of Required Courses
- 9.00 credits of Elective Courses
- MGMT 4800 3.00 MANAGEMENT CONSULTING
- SGMT 4200 3.00 MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
- SGMT 4300 3.00 STRATEGIC THINKING SKILLS
- ECON 3200 3.00 ECONOMICS OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
- ECON 4210 3.00 ECONOMIC FORECASTING & ANALYSIS
- ENTR 4600 3.00 ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND NEW VENTURE CREATION
- ENTR 4700 3.00 FINANCING GROWING VENTURES
- IBUS 3100 3.00 INTRODUCTION TO INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
- MGMT 3030 3.00 CREATING GLOBAL CAPITALISM
- MGMT 4300 3.00 CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY IN A GLOBAL CONTEXT
- MGMT 4700 3.00 PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- OMIS 4560 3.00 SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
- ORGS 4350 3.00 MANAGING CHANGE
- PUBL 4000 3.00 GOVERNMENT AND BUSINESS
- SGMT 4750 3.00 STRATEGY EXECUTION
FacultyView details Hide details
Faculty members teaching in the Strategic Management area possess a wide variety of backgrounds and professional experiences. While their research is at the cutting edge of their fields, they have published some of the leading books, numerous articles in prestigious journals and have won numerous awards and honors.
Selected faculty members
Associate Professor of Strategic Management/PolicyView profile
Professor of Entrepreneurship and Strategic ManagementView profile
Professor of Strategic Management; Director, Global Leadership Program; Director, India MBA and Executive MBA ProgramsView profile
Associate Professor of PolicyView profile
James L. Darroch
Associate Professor of Policy; CIT Chair in Financial Services; Area Coordinator, Policy/Strategy; Director, Financial Services ProgramView profile
Preet S. Aulakh
Professor of Strategy and International Business; Pierre Lassonde Chair in International BusinessView profile
Ellen R. Auster
Professor of Strategic Management; Executive Director, York Change Leadership (YCL)View profile
Professor of Strategic Management/Public PolicyView profile
Professor of Strategic Management/PolicyView profile
Academic Director, Kellogg-Schulich Executive MBA; Professor of Policy; Richard E. Waugh Chair in Business HistoryView profile
H. Ian Macdonald
President Emeritus (York); Professor Emeritus of Economics and Public PolicyView profile
Professor of Strategy; Scotiabank Chair in International Business and EntrepreneurshipView profile
Professor of Strategy; Associate Dean, Research; Hewlett-Packard Chair in Corporate Social ResponsibilityView profile
Charles J. McMillan
Professor of Strategic Management and International BusinessView profile
Professor of Strategic Management/Policy; Newmont Endowed Chair in Business StrategyView profile
Professor of Strategic Management/Policy; Jarislowsky Dimma Mooney Chair in Corporate Governance; Cross-appointed to Osgoode Hall Law SchoolView profile
Associate Professor of Strategic Management/Policy and International BusinessView profile
Student ClubsView details Hide details
Schulich Consulting Club (SCC)
The Schulich Consulting Club is a quickly-growing industry-oriented club that strives to introduce and educate interested prospective students to the consulting field, and prepare BBA and MBA students for recruitment and – ultimately a profession – in consulting. The objective is for members to develop the toolkit required for effectively tackling case competitions and case analysis interviews through a series of seminars and opportunities to work with firms on real-world projects.