Arts, Media & Entertainment Management
Schulich offers Canada’s only English language MBA with a specialization in Arts, Media and Entertainment Management (AM&E). The program provides a deep and current understanding of management practices across the creative industries, including: broadcasting, digital and social media, not-for-profit arts and social enterprise organizations. It is designed for students who have work experience and/or educational backgrounds in the arts and cultural industries. Courses focus on issues specific to the arts and cultural industries, such as regulation and policy, rights management, talent management and the impact of digital disruption.
Alumni of the program hold senior management positions in the arts, creative industries and government, nationally and internationally. Program faculty are distinguished leaders in their fields and students have regular access to industry experts and senior executives both in the classroom and via extra-curricular programming. Focusing on the Canadian experience in a globalized environment, the AM&E program is also designed to support the educational and career objectives of exchange and foreign students.
Specialization Details by Category
Study OptionsView details Hide details
CoursesView details Hide details
Students must complete 12.00 credits total, consisting of:
- 6.00 credits of Required Courses
- 6.00 or more credits of Elective Courses (see below)
MGMT 6100 3.00 Strategy Field Study is recommended in a cultural sector organization
- ARTM 6340 3.00 MANAGING IN THE NEW BROADCAST WORLD
- ARTM 6350 3.00 THE BUSINESS OF CREATIVITY IN THE CULTURAL SECTOR
- ARTM 6360 3.00 BUSINESS SOLUTIONS FOR DIGITAL MEDIA
NOTE: Not all courses required to fulfill a specialization are offered each term. Course offerings are based on factors such as student demand and instructor availability. The office of Student Services & International Relations is available to provide advising on course sequencing and the fulfillment of program and specialization requirements within a student’s period of study. For current course offerings and details, please view the Schulich Course Offerings Database.
Graduate Diploma in Arts, Media & Entertainment ManagementView details Hide details
The Graduate Diploma in Arts, Media and Entertainment Management is earned concurrently with the Master of Business Administration.
Students must complete 12.00 credits total, consisting of:
- 6.00 credits of Required Courses (see above)
- 6.00 credits of Electives (see above)
To earn the diploma, students must have:
- completed the Arts and Media specialization, within the MBA, IMBA, MBA/MFA, MBA/MA or MBA/JD program
- conducted their MGMT 6100 strategy study (601) at an arts, media or entertainment site (approval of the Arts and Media Director required)
- completed the program requirements for an internship in the cultural sector
Students must satisfy the requirements of both the Graduate Diploma as well as those of the MBA, IMBA, MBA/MFA, MBA/MA or MBA/JD .
The diploma must be completed within one term of completing graduate program degree requirements.
Career OpportunitiesView details Hide details
The specialization prepares students for a management career in the arts, entertainment and media sectors. Alumni work in mid and senior management positions in all areas of the arts, entertainment and media sectors, across a spectrum ranging from broadcasting, digital and social media industries to not-for-profit arts and social enterprise organizations, as well as government and governmental agencies.
The Schulich Career Development Centre
Your career is top priority at Schulich. To make career decisions that are right for you, the CDC will help you identify strengths, determine career objectives, develop career plans, hone skills for career management and put your professional development plan into action.
- Our highly experienced CDC Advisors bring a unique combination of first-hand knowledge, experience and diverse perspectives in a wide variety of businesses and industry sectors.
- Take advantage of a series of proven career-building modules, including up-to-date Job Search Techniques, Self-Assessment, Resume and Cover Letter Writing, and Interview Skills to help you stand out from the competition.
- Corporate Information Sessions offer you an opportunity to meet top level recruiters, alumni and executives.Visit the Career Development Centre
FacultyView details Hide details
Schulich ARTM faculty members are well known for their work in arts, entertainment and media. Their expertise spans a wide range of related issues, including strategy management, policy development and entrepreneurship. All faculty members continue to play a vital role in the field of arts and culture.
Selected faculty members
Joyce Zemans, C.M.
Senior Scholar; University Professor EmeritaView profile
Associate Dean and Associate Professor of the School of the Arts Media Performance and Design; Co-Director of the Arts, Media & Entertainment Management ProgramView profile
Adjunct Professor; Principal of barcode SDGView profile
Trina McQueen, O.C.
Bell Media Professor in Media Management; Co-Director of the Arts, Media & Entertainment Management ProgramView profile
Advisory BoardView details Hide details
- Tricia Baldwin Director, Isabel Bader Centre for the Performing Arts
- Claire Hopkinson Director and CEO, Toronto Arts Council and Toronto Arts Foundation
- Paul Lewis Conference Director, World Congress of Science & Factual Producers
- Laura Michalchyshyn Partner/Producer, Sundance Productions
- David Mirvish, C.M., O.Ont. Mirvish Productions
- Tracey Pearce President, Distribution & Pay, Bell Media
- Andrew Shaw Former President & CEO, Toronto Symphony Orchestra
Student ClubsView details Hide details
Arts and Media Management Club (AMMC)
AMMC is a networking gateway and social platform that links Schulich MBA students with the arts industry, media industry and related fields.
The club plans social events and provides opportunities to meet and hear from professionals in these industries, including managers, administrators, consultants and entrepreneurs.
AMMC facilitates attendance at conferences, professional development sessions, and case competitions and provides links to publications covering arts and media industry news and opinions.
For more information email: email@example.com