Health Industry Management
Healthcare in Canada, as in other jurisdictions around the world, represents a significant and growing portion of the economy. This highly professionalized industry spans both the private sector such as pharma, consulting and medical devices, as well as publicly-funded institutions such as hospitals and long-term care facilities. It consists of a complex infrastructure of businesses, services and programs.
The healthcare industry requires a broad range of clinical and scientific expertise, as well as highly specialized management practitioners. The industry also has an acute need for business professionals to drive innovation, creative thinking and change as the healthcare landscape evolves to meet the challenges of demographic and systemic changes.
The Health Industry Management Program (HIMP) builds on Schulich’s established strength in management fundamentals, delivering an industry-focused curriculum, intellectual content and career-based development. The goal of HIMP is to enable students to leverage their learnings in pursuing exciting career opportunities and growth in this dynamic sector.
Specialization Details by Category
Study OptionsView details Hide details
Professional DesignationsView details Hide details
The HIMP specialization provides students advanced standing towards earning their Certified Health Executive (CHE) designation, under the Schulich School of Business' strategic alliance with the Canadian College of Health Leaders (CCHL). Students who enroll in the strategic alliance must complete the CHE program requirements within three years from the date of enrolment.
Specialization RequirementsView details Hide details
Successful completion of 12.00 credits total, consisting of the following:
- 3 courses (9.00 credits) from the current four HIMP Elective courses, AND
- One related course (3.00 credits) from the Additional Electives list OR
- With a letter of approval, up to 3.00 credits of relevant graduate level course from other York Faculties, OR
- An approved Independent Studies Course HIMP 6900 (3.00 credits) in the Healthcare Sector OR
- A fourth course from the four current HIMP courses offered
HIMP Elective Courses:
- HIMP 6110 3.00 THE BUSINESS OF HEALTHCARE
- HIMP 6130 3.00 STRATEGY IN HEALTHCARE
- HIMP 6150 3.00 ECONOMICS OF HEALTHCARE
- HIMP 6180 3.00 ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INNOVATION IN HEALTHCARE
- ECON 6450 3.00 INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DIFFUSION
- ENTR 6605 3.00 ENTREPRENEURSHIP & NEW FIRM CREATION
- ENTR 6910 3.00 VENTURE CAPITAL AND PRIVATE EQUITY
- MGMT 6700 3.00 PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- MGMT 6800 3.00 INNOVATION THROUGH TECHNOLOGY AND DESIGN
- MKTG 6050 3.00 MARKETING RESEARCH
- ORGS 6350 3.00 MANAGING CHANGE
- ORGS 6720 3.00 MANAGING TEAM DYNAMICS
- PUBL 6800 3.00 PROGRAM EVALUATION
Graduate Diploma in Health Industry Management
Students must complete 12.00 credits total, consisting of:
- Minimum 9.00 credits of HIMP Elective Courses (listed above)
- With a letter of approval, up to 3.00 credits of relevant, graduate level health courses from other York Faculties, or from other Universities may be substituted for the recommended courses listed above
- Must be taken concurrently with a Schulich MBA*
- The diploma must be completed within one term of completing graduate program degree requirements
- All students must take a minimum of 9.00 credits of HIMP elective courses from the recommended courses list above
- Equivalent of a minimum 10-week full-time internship in a healthcare organization
* Students must satisfy both Graduate Diploma and MBA requirements.
NOTE: Not all courses required to fulfill a specialization are offered each term. Course offerings are based on factors such as student demand and instructor availability. The office of Student Services & International Relations is available to provide advising on course sequencing and the fulfillment of program and specialization requirements within a student’s period of study. For current course offerings and details, please view the Schulich Course Offerings Database.
FacultyView details Hide details
Drawn from many disciplines at Schulich, the HIMP faculty are reputed in their particular areas of expertise and play leading roles in the private and hospital sectors as CEOs, entrepreneurs and consultants; in the public sector as policy advisors and economists; and in the not-for-profit sector as consultants, board members and administrators
Selected faculty members
Associate Professor of Accounting; Program Director – Health Industry Management Program; Graduate Diploma Coordinator for Health Industry Management ProgramView profile
Adjunct Professor; Executive Director Health Industry Management ProgramView profile
Sylvia H. Hsu
Associate Professor of AccountingView profile
Career OpportunitiesView details Hide details
This specialization is designed to position graduates in the Health Industry Management sector. A career in health care offers the opportunity to serve in one of the most important sectors to the future of our country.
Job titles held by HIMP graduates include: Program Manager (Health Service Provider); Director, Child Health Service (Hospital); Director, Business Development & Analytics (Consulting); Manager, National Health Services Practice (Consulting); Manager, Infectious Disease Therapy (Pharmaceutical); Project Management Analyst (Hospital), and Long Range Planning Specialist (Government).
“The Schulich MBA was instrumental in launching my career in the health care sector. ”
The Schulich Career Development Centre
Your career is top priority at Schulich. To make career decisions that are right for you, the CDC will help you identify strengths, determine career objectives, develop career plans, hone skills for career management and put your professional development plan into action.
- Our highly experienced CDC Advisors bring a unique combination of first-hand knowledge, experience and diverse perspectives in a wide variety of businesses and industry sectors.
- Take advantage of a series of proven career-building modules, including up-to-date Job Search Techniques, Self-Assessment, Resume and Cover Letter Writing, and Interview Skills to help you stand out from the competition.
- Corporate Information Sessions offer you an opportunity to meet top level recruiters, alumni and executives.Visit the Career Development Centre
Student ClubsView details Hide details
Schulich Healthcare & Biotechnology Forum (HCBF)
HCBF is an MBA student club dedicated to students networking in areas of the health industry.
HCBF works closely with HIMP, the Schulich School of Business Health Exchange (SSBHE) and the Schulich Career Development Centre (CDC) to organize events that complement students’ academic and personal goals.
For more info, contact a member of the HCBF executive team at firstname.lastname@example.org
HIMP Alumni NewsletterView details Hide details