Kristin Murray, Timmins Mayor, Addresses Schulich Alumni at Golf Classic
This past month, the Schulich Real Property Alumni Association (SRPAA) hosted the third annual Golf Classic in collaboration with Schulich’s Brookfield Centre in Real Estate and Infrastructure. The tournament was organized in support of the SRPAA Leadership Awards for Black and Indigenous Communities, and featured over 100 attendees, including Kristin Murray, the newly appointed Mayor of Timmins. Kristin Murray is a proud member of Chapleau Cree First Nation and Afro-Indigenous: Cree & Jamaican. During dinner, Mayor Murray spoke about the importance of Reconciliation from an Indigenous perspective, and her remarks received a standing ovation.
“We’re extremely grateful for Mayor Murray’s insights, her valued advice, and the lived experience that she shared with us,” said Dean Detlev Zwick. “She gave our School a lot to reflect on in terms of how we can create new ways of engagement with Indigenous communities.”
The 2022 Golf Classic saw alumni, staff, and sponsors come together to create pathways for Black and Indigenous students to study and explore a career in the real estate industry. The SRPAA Leadership Awards campaign has raised over $250,000 last fall for two four-year term funded scholarships and is now embarked on a $1.5 million endowment campaign.
Schulich extends thanks to the following Golf Classic organizers and sponsors:
- Organizing committee: Imran Mangalji (MREI 2018) and Michael Krasic (MREI 2018) (Tournament Co-Chairs), and committee members, Emily Martino (MMGT 2021), Adam Miklas (MREI 2022), and Matt Miklas (MREI 2020)
- Golf Ball Sponsor: Belmont Equity Partners, Coletara Development
- Golf Tower Sponsor: Dorsay Development Corporation
- Food & Drink Sponsor: Home Trust Company, Osmington Inc., Manulife Investment Management
- Hole In One Sponsor: Oakville Infiniti, Oakville Nissan
- Hole Sponsors: Atena construction, Atrium Mortgage Investment Corporation, Boyden, CanFirst Capital Management, Empire Communities Corp, Epic Investment Services, Excellent! Inc., Heathwood Homes (Huron) Ltd., Ivanhoe Cambridge, Jeff Shuster Golf, Pace Law Firm, Prombank Investment Limited