• Why Study at Schulich?

    Joining us at Schulich from outside of Canada? Welcome to your home away from home. Located in the cultural and business epicenter of Canada, Toronto is a world leader in arts, finance, and technology. It is one of the most diverse cities on the planet. We’re excited to include your unique perspective, talents and presence to the diverse fabric of our school. We help students from around the globe confidently transition to our campus, and experience everything Schulich has to offer.


Arriving in Toronto

Toronto, named the best Canadian city to visit in 2015 by Vacay.ca, is one of the most cosmopolitan and ethnically-diverse cities in the world. Toronto is home to some of the best restaurants, shows and shopping that Canada has to offer. Just an hour flight from Montreal and New York, a one-hour drive to Niagara Falls and a five-hour drive to Ottawa, you can explore these world class cities!

Pre-Arrival Guide
Living in Toronto
  • Open Arms Committee

    Welcome to Toronto!

  • GBC Winter Getaway

  • Incoming Summer Program

  • Nathan Phillips square in Toronto at night

    Nathan Phillips square in Toronto at night, with the fountain, the big writing and the old City Hall in the right. Long exposure shot.

  • Graduate Exchange

    Students enrolled in an equivalent graduate program at one of our partner schools can join Schulich’s MBA program for the Fall, Winter or Summer term.

  • Graduate Summer Program

    Students are eligible to apply for a Toronto-based 2-week intensive course focused around a central theme and some cultural and sightseeing activities. The Summer Program is a hands-on modular course taught through a variety of professors, guest speakers, and company visits, that focus on real-life applications across industries. Students are given the opportunity to gain first hand experience and understanding of Canada’s business culture, centered around an academic theme.

  • Undergraduate Exchange Program

    Students enrolled in equivalent undergraduate programs at partner schools are eligible to apply to take courses at Schulich for a semester. Schulich offers a diverse selection of courses.


Additional Information

Immigration Information

View details Hide details
Exchange students who will be studying in Canada for 6 months or less do not require a study permit.  However, in most cases, you will require either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).
Following assessment of your Schulich exchange application, you will receive an official Letter of Acceptance if your application is approved. This letter will be required for your TRV and/or study permit application.
Students must consider the following circumstances prior to arrival:
  • Depending on your country of citizenship, you may require a temporary resident visa (TRV) or eTA to enter Canada. To determine which document you need, please visit IRCC’s website.
  • If you are coming to Schulich for two semesters, you will require a study permit. You will need to apply for your study permit before coming to Canada. In some cases, you may wish to apply for a study permit even if you don’t need one (i.e.: you will be bringing your children with you).
  • Exchange students who wish to visit the United States during their exchange term are encouraged to check the requirements with the US Consulate before arriving in Canada.
Remember to bring your acceptance letter with you to the airport or border crossing when you first arrive in Canada.
Access more information and links about the Government of Canada’s permit requirements for studying and working in Canada.
Immigration Links

York University Campus Services

View details Hide details
In addition to the services offered within Schulich, students have access to the many resources, services, support units and facilities offered across the York University campus.
For a comprehensive look at campus services offered at York, visit the Current Students page.
Campus Food Services York U Sports & Recreation York U Bookstore Student Housing Transportation Services

Health Insurance

View details Hide details
University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) - Mandatory University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) - Mandatory

Health insurance is mandatory for all international students and their dependents (in Canada). You will be automatically enrolled in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP), which will provide basic medical coverage to help cover medical services in Ontario.

Your coverage will begin on the 10th day of the month prior to your program start date and fees will be automatically charged to your student account.

For more detailed information, please visit the York University UHIP page.

Supplemental Health Insurance - Optional Supplemental Health Insurance - Optional

This optional insurance plan covers some health care costs like dental care, prescriptions and wellness. The type of insurance available and the amount you will pay depends on your level of study.

York University Graduate Students’ Association (YUGSA) Health Plan York Federation of Students (YFS) Health & Dental Plan

The following table summarizes the Health Insurance requirements depending on the number of terms on exchange and credits taken.

Criterion Graduate Undergraduate
1 term full-time UHIP only UHIP only
2 terms or more and 15 credits or more UHIP and Supplemental (Provided by the Graduate Students’ Association) UHIP and Supplemental (Provided by the York Federation of Students)
Resources and Information Resources and Information

Meet the Team

View details Hide details
For any additional questions or concerns, feel free to contact a member of the International Relations Team.

Upcoming Events

No events found.