The Strategic Management specialization (SGMT) develops a framework for analysis of the organization in its totality – the environment in which it operates, its focus and its internal administrative activities.
It examines the process of choosing and defining purposes and objectives, formulating and implementing a viable strategy and monitoring strategic performance.
Specialization Details by Category
Study OptionsView details Hide details
Specialization RequirementsView details Hide details
Students must complete 12.00 credits total, consisting of
- 6.00 credits of Recommended Elective Courses
- 6.00 credits of Additional Elective Courses
Recommended Elective Courses:
- SGMT 6050 3.00 MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
- SGMT 6060 3.00 THE ART OF THE DEAL
- SGMT 6150 3.00 THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS & GOVERNANCE OF PUBLIC CORPORATIONS
- SGMT 6240 3.00 MANAGING STRATEGIC ALLIANCES AND JOINT VENTURES
- SGMT 6250 3.00 STRATEGY EXECUTION
- SGMT 6400 3.00 STRATEGIC THINKING AND ACTION IN TURBULENT ENVIRONMENTS
- SGMT 6700 3.00 STRATEGIC CAPABILITY DEVELOPMENT
- SGMT 6720 3.00 MANAGING GLOBALLY - PAST, PRESENT, FUTURE
- SGMT 6730 3.00 BUSINESS STRATEGIES IN CHINA
- SGMT 6800 3.00 STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT OF TECHNOLOGY - BASED FIRMS
- SGMT 6970 3.00 RESTRUCTURING & TURNAROUND MANAGEMENT
Additional Elective Courses
- BSUS 6200 3.00 MANAGING ETHICS AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- SGMT 6960 3.00 STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT OF E-BUSINESS
- BSUS 6500 3.00 BUSINESS STRATEGIES FOR SUSTAINABILITY
- ECON 6210 3.00 ECONOMIC FORECASTING AND ANALYSIS
- ENTR 6605 3.00 ENTREPRENEURSHIP & NEW FIRM CREATION
- ENTR 6625 3.00 MANAGING VENTURE GROWTH & TRANSITION
- ENTR 6645 3.00 CORPORATE ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- FNSV 6970 3.00 COMPETITIVE & ORGANIZATIONAL STRATEGIES FOR FINANCIAL SERVICES FIRMS
- FNSV 6985 1.50 THE CANADIAN LIFE INSURANCE INDUSTRY & INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION
- FNSV 6990 1.50 ENTERPRISE RISK MANAGEMENT & STRATEGY
- HIMP 6130 3.00 STRATEGY IN HEALTHCARE
- IBUS 6410 3.00 INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS - STRATEGIC OVERVIEW FOR MANAGERS
- IBUS 6430 3.00 INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS STRATEGY
- IBUS 6490 3.00 INTERNATIONAL NEGOTIATIONS - ANALYSIS, STRATEGY AND PRACTICE
- MGMT 6200 3.00 BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION AND THE LAW
- MGMT 6300 3.00 CASE ANALYSIS AND PRESENTATION SKILLS
- MGMT 6700 3.00 PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- MGMT 6960 3.00 MANAGEMENT CONSULTING
- MINE 6100 3.00 STRATEGY AND VALUE CREATION IN MINING
- MKTG 6650 3.00 STRATEGIC MARKET PLANNING
- SB/MECH 6503 3.00 DISRUPTIVE & EXPONENTIAL TECHNOLOGY INNOVATIONS
NOTE: Not all courses required to fulfill a specialization are offered each term. Course offerings are based on factors such as student demand and instructor availability. The office of Student Services & International Relations is available to provide advising on course sequencing and the fulfillment of program and specialization requirements within a student’s period of study. For current course offerings and details, please view the Schulich Course Offerings Database.
FacultyView details Hide details
Faculty members teaching Strategic Management have an extensive variety of backgrounds and professional experience. They bring their cutting edge research to the classroom.
Recent research topics include responsible business, management of the multinational firm, corporate governance, strategic alliances, entrepreneurship and technology-based firms.
Selected faculty members
James L. Darroch
Associate Professor of Policy; CIT Chair in Financial Services; Area Coordinator, Policy/Strategy; Director, Financial Services ProgramView profile
Professor of Policy; Richard E. Waugh Chair in Business HistoryView profile
Associate Professor of Strategic Management/Policy and International BusinessView profile
Associate Professor of Strategic Management/PolicyView profile
Career OpportunitiesView details Hide details
This specialization will be of particular relevance to those interested in careers in strategic or corporate planning and in general management positions in profit-oriented enterprises operating in a competitive environment.
“My MBA specialization in Strategic Management at Schulich gave me the real-world learning and analytic tools to jump start my career.”
The Schulich Career Development Centre
Your career is top priority at Schulich. To make career decisions that are right for you, the CDC will help you identify strengths, determine career objectives, develop career plans, hone skills for career management and put your professional development plan into action.
- Our highly experienced CDC Advisors bring a unique combination of first-hand knowledge, experience and diverse perspectives in a wide variety of businesses and industry sectors.
- Take advantage of a series of proven career-building modules, including up-to-date Job Search Techniques, Self-Assessment, Resume and Cover Letter Writing, and Interview Skills to help you stand out from the competition.
- Corporate Information Sessions offer you an opportunity to meet top level recruiters, alumni and executives.Visit the Career Development Centre
Student ClubsView details Hide details
Case Analysis Club (CAC)
The Case Analysis Club provides all Schulich students a forum to develop and practice critical problem-solving skills using real business cases.
Its case training using a buddy system, boot camps and weekly workshops offer critical supports to students preparing for consulting company interviews.
Schulich Association of Management and Organizational Studies (SAMOS)
SAMOS provides networking, learning, and development opportunities to students within the areas of human resource management, change management and planning and organizational dynamics.
Each term, we host special events which focus on how organizational behavior impacts careers.
Schulich Advanced Strategy Club
Schulich Advanced Strategy Club’s objective is to enrich the learning experience of graduate students with insights from industry professionals working in strategy roles. Guest speakers bring strategy theory to life by recounting successful and unsuccessful business deals, and examining how strategy is planned and executed in real life scenarios across different industries.