Master of Finance (MF) Admission Requirements
The general admission requirements for the MF are listed below. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission, as space in each program is limited. A holistic approach is taken during the application review process and all components of the application are thoroughly reviewed.
- An undergraduate degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with a minimum B+ average in the last two full years (or equivalent) of academic work.
- Applicants with 3-year degrees may be considered for admission with one year of work experience
- A strong quantitative background
- Applicants may demonstrate the required level of quantitative skills via the completion of at least two 3-credit courses at recognized institutions from these fields: calculus, statistics, economics, linear algebra, probability theory, or other quantitative courses.
- A 3-credit course consists of at least 36 hours of instruction. Both courses must be 2000-level courses (i.e. second year courses) or higher.
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Acceptable scores on all measures of the GMAT or GRE
- To send your scores for these tests to us please use the following codes: GMAT code Z75-X8-02 or GRE code 5697
- Candidates who have completed CFA Level 1 or higher, candidates who have completed FRM Part I or higher, and graduates from the Schulich School of Business BBA program with a B+ or higher GPA in the last two years of the program are exempt from this requirement.
- Work Experience
- Post degree work experience is recommended but not required
- One year of full-time, post-graduate work experience required for applicants holding 3-year degrees
- Completion of the online application which requires:
*Official copies of these documents will be required if an applicant receives an offer to the program
- Proof of English language proficiency is required if studies were not completed in English.
Accepted Tests Minimum Score IELTS (Academic Test) 7.0 overall (minimum 6.5 on each dimension) TOEFL 100 iBT (minimum 23 on each dimension)
Schulich’s TOEFL code is B710 with Department Code 02
- Applicants who have completed at least two years of full-time study at an accredited university in a country (or institution) where English is the official language of instruction are not required to submit an English proficiency test.
- Strong applicants whose first language is not English and do not meet the above language requirements may be considered for admission with the condition of completion of the MBA/Specialized Master’s Preparation Program offered by the York University English Language Institute.
Students who have graduated from Schulich within the last five years are eligible for the following:
- GMAT/GRE waiver
- If the student achieved a B+ or better GPA during their last two years of undergraduate studies at Schulich, or cumulatively across the Master of Management (MMgt) program
- A $150 application fee waiver
For more information please see our Application Tips.
The MF program starts in September of each year. Applications for September 2022 are still being accepted from domestic students and international students with a valid study permit. To apply, click here.
|Entry||Round 1**||Round 2||Round 3||Round 4***|
|September 2023||October 5, 2022||January 25, 2023||April 5, 2023||June 7, 2023|
**International students are encouraged to apply no later than Round 1. International students are still welcome to apply after this date and will be considered for admission pending space in the program. Please keep in mind that you must have enough time to apply for a study permit if you are granted an offer.
***For domestic applicants only. Late international applications may be accepted pending space availability.
Please note: Your GMAT/GRE score and responses from your referees can be completed after your application has been submitted. A preliminary review of your application will still be done prior to receiving these items.
Students may only submit a single application. Students are not permitted to apply in multiple rounds or to multiple programs.