Global Metals and Minerals Management
Developed in cooperation with mining industry leaders, the vision of the Global Metals and Minerals Management specialization is to be the world’s best business program focused on developing responsible leaders for the global metals and minerals industry.
Students gain an in-depth understanding of management complexities and strategic opportunities that leaders face in the Global Metals and Minerals Industry. This is accomplished through extensive interactions with industry leaders, as well as through attendance at industry events and conferences, strategy field studies at mining companies and mine site visits.
Specialization Details by Category
Study OptionsView details Hide details
CoursesView details Hide details
Students must complete 13.50 credits of Required Courses total:
- GMMM 5100 1.50 METALS AND MINERALS IN THE GLOBAL ECONOMY
- GMMM 6100 3.00 STRATEGIES FOR WEALTH CREATION IN THE METALS & MINERALS INDUSTRY
- GMMM 6200 3.00 FINANCING MINERAL DEVELOPMENT
- GMMM 6300 3.00 STAKEHOLDER COLLABORATION FOR RESPONSIBLE MINERAL DEVELOPMENT & USE
- GMMM 6400 3.00 ORGANIZATIONAL EXCELLENCE IN THE METALS AND MINERALS INDUSTRY
Additional Electives to Explore
In addition to the GMM courses, students are encouraged to expand their knowledge in specific subject areas such as strategy, management, finance and sustainability.
NOTE: These courses are suggested additions only and do not count toward the Global Metals and Minerals Management specialization.
- GMMM 6500 3.00 APPLYING STRATEGY IN THE METALS & MINERALS INDUSTRY
Strategy and Management Electives
- ORGS 6350 3.00 MANAGING CHANGE
- SGMT 6050 3.00 MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
- SGMT 6060 3.00 THE ART OF THE DEAL
- SGMT 6240 3.00 MANAGING STRATEGIC ALLIANCES AND JOINT VENTURES
- SUST 6250 3.00 INTEGRATING SUSTAINABILITY ACROSS FUNCTIONS
- SUST 6350 3.00 ORCHESTRATING SUSTAINABILITY INITIATIVES
- SUST 6450 3.00 SUSTAINABILITY REPORTING & DISCLOSURE
NOTE: Not all courses required to fulfill a specialization are offered each term. Course offerings are based on factors such as student demand and instructor availability. The office of Student Services & International Relations is available to provide advising on course sequencing and the fulfillment of program and specialization requirements within a student’s period of study. For current course offerings and details, please view the Schulich Course Offerings Database.
Concurrent Graduate Diploma in Metals and Minerals ManagementView details Hide details
The Graduate Diploma in Global Metals and Minerals Management is earned concurrently with the Master of Business Administration.
Students must complete 16.50 credits total, consisting of the following:
- The 5 courses (13.50 credits) currently required for the GMM specialization (found in the ‘Courses’ section above)
AND the following course:
AND one of the following:
- Strategy Field Study (601)
- 10-week Internship in the Metals & Minerals or Related Industry.
- Upon approval, prior work experience and/or prior internships in the Metals & Minerals Industry may be considered as a substitute for the 10-week internship requirement.
- Must be taken concurrently with a Schulich MBA*
- The diploma must be completed within one term of completing graduate program degree requirements
* Students must satisfy both Graduate Diploma and MBA requirements
FacultyView details Hide details
The GMM specialization was developed and is directed by the Former Chairman and CEO of a major Canadian mining company with the support of Academic Faculty and Executives in Residence. In addition, the GMM specialization invites numerous industry experts from metals and minerals companies, consulting and engineering firms, non-profit organizations and financial services companies to share with students their experiences and knowledge of current and future trends in the metals and minerals industry.
Selected faculty members
Inmet Chair in Global Metals and Minerals Management; Director, Global Metals and Minerals ManagementView profile
Associate Director, Global Metals and Minerals Management; Program Director, Centre of Excellence in Mining Leadership, Schulich Executive Education Centre; Founder and President, The Art & Science of Leadership Inc.View profile
Career OpportunitiesView details Hide details
The Global Metals and Minerals Management specialization prepares graduates for job opportunities in global mining companies as well as companies that provide services to the metals and minerals sector such as in consulting and financial services. Graduates pursue careers as senior managers in global metals and minerals companies; as professionals providing advice to the metals and minerals sector in consulting firms; and as analysts and bankers in the financial service sector, with a focus on the metals and minerals industry.
“The most important opportunity the Schulich IMBA provided me came from its broad exposure to all industry aspects.”
The Schulich Centre for Career Design
Your career is top priority at Schulich. To make career decisions that are right for you, the CCD will help you identify strengths, determine career objectives, develop career plans, hone skills for career management and put your professional development plan into action.
- Our highly experienced CCD Advisors bring a unique combination of first-hand knowledge, experience and diverse perspectives in a wide variety of businesses and industry sectors.
- Take advantage of a series of proven career-building modules, including up-to-date Job Search Techniques, Self-Assessment, Resume and Cover Letter Writing, and Interview Skills to help you stand out from the competition.
- Corporate Information Sessions offer you an opportunity to meet top level recruiters, alumni and executives.Visit the Centre for Career Design
Student ClubsView details Hide details
Schulich CIM Student Chapter is an affiliation of the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum (CIM). This club focuses on the mining and petroleum industry from all business lenses including management, operations, finance, sustainability, production, and marketing.
The CIM Student Club organizes industry speakers, networking opportunities and site visits.