Public Sector: Business & Government
This Public Sector (PUBL) specialization offers students a business-focused introduction to public policy and to the multiple interactions between business and government in a global perspective.
The specialization prepares graduates for management and leadership positions in the public, private and social sectors. It will be particularly useful for MBA students who specialize in highly regulated industries (such as Financial Services, Health, Media, Mining, Real Estate) and in management functions (such as sustainability and international business) where aptitude to successfully work with governments is a key skill in high demand. This specialization is taken in conjunction with a relevant industry or functional specialization.
Public Sector: Business & Government is a unique specialization that opens doors for a diverse set of careers in government, the private sector as well as nonprofit organizations in various fields including Arts/Communication/Media, Financial Services, Healthcare, Mining, Real Estate and Infrastructure. Graduates have built new careers and added value to existing careers in local, provincial and federal government, within the private sector and in civil society organizations.
The Schulich Career Development Centre
Your career is top priority at Schulich. To make career decisions that are right for you, the CDC will help you identify strengths, determine career objectives, develop career plans, hone skills for career management and put your professional development plan into action.
- Our highly experienced CDC Advisors bring a unique combination of first-hand knowledge, experience and diverse perspectives in a wide variety of businesses and industry sectors.
- Take advantage of a series of proven career-building modules, including up-to-date Job Search Techniques, Self-Assessment, Resume and Cover Letter Writing, and Interview Skills to help you stand out from the competition.
- Corporate Information Sessions offer you an opportunity to meet top level recruiters, alumni and executives.Visit the Career Development Centre
Specialization RequirementsView course details Hide course details
12.00 credits of elective courses consisting of:
- 6.00 credits of required courses
- 6.00 credits of recommended electives or elective courses in another specialization, as approved by the specialization director
- PUBL 6050 3.00 MANAGING FOR PUBLIC PURPOSE
PUBL 6XXX 3.00: Managing the Private-Public Interface*
*Note: This course is under development.
- PUBL 6140 3.00 BUSINESS AND GOVERNMENT
- PUBL 6150 3.00 COMPARATIVE PUBLIC POLICY
- PUBL 6200 3.00 CANADIAN PUBLIC LAW
- PUBL 6800 3.00 PROGRAM EVALUATION
NOTE: Not all courses required to fulfill a specialization are offered each term. Course offerings are based on factors such as student demand and instructor availability. The office of Student Services & International Relations is available to provide advising on course sequencing and the fulfillment of program and specialization requirements within a student’s period of study. For current course offerings and details, please view the Schulich Course Offerings Database.
The PUBL faculty represents a global, innovative and diverse blend of expertise with strong academic credentials in public policy and administration.
Some faculty have extensive leadership and managerial experience in the public sector. They have published widely and consulted actively on cross-sector development in Canada and abroad.
Selected faculty members
H. Ian Macdonald
President Emeritus (York); Professor Emeritus of Economics and Public Policy; Director of the Master of Public Administration ProgramView profile
Associate Professor of Strategic Management/Public PolicyView profile
Associate Professor of Strategic Management/PolicyView profile