Master of Finance (MF) Admission Requirements
The general admission requirements for the MF are listed below. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission, as space in each program is limited. A holistic approach is taken during the application review process and all components of the application are thoroughly reviewed.
- An undergraduate degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with a minimum B+ average in the last two full years (or equivalent) of academic work.
- Applicants with 3-year degrees may be considered for admission with one year of work experience
- Prerequisite courses in Calculus (I & II), Economics (Micro & Macro) and Statistics taken at the undergraduate level.
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Acceptable scores on all measures of the GMAT or GRE
- To send your scores for these tests to us please use the following codes: GMAT code Z75-X8-02 or GRE code 5697
- Waived for CFA Level 1 holders and CPAs (Canada)
- Work Experience
- Post degree work experience is recommended but not required
- One year of full-time, post-graduate work experience required for applicants holding 3-year degrees
- Completion of the online application which requires:
- Essays (2 written, 1 timed written, 2 video)
- An up-to-date resume
- Three references
- Unofficial copies of transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions*
- Unofficial copies of GMAT or GRE scores*
- *Official copies of these documents will be required if an applicant receives an offer to the program
- Proof of English language proficiency if studies were not completed in English.
Accepted Tests Minimum Score IELTS 7.0 overall (minimum 6.5 on each dimension) TOEFL (Schulich’s TOEFL Code is B710) 100 iBT (minimum 23 on each dimension)
- Applicants who have completed at least two years of full-time study at an accredited university in a country (or institution) where English is the official language of instruction are not required to submit an English proficiency test.
- Strong applicants whose first language is not English and do not meet the above language requirements may be considered for admission with the condition of completion of the MBA/Specialized Master’s Preparation Program offered by the York University English Language Institute.
For graduates of the Schulich School of Business with a GPA of B+ or better, the following requirements will be waived if the applicant graduated within the last five years:
- Application Fee
For more information please see our Application Tips.
The MF program is offered on a full-time basis only. Full time studies start in August of each year.
|Entry||Round 1**||Round 2||Round 3||Round 4***|
|August 2018||December 1, 2017||February 1, 2018||March 15, 2018||April 30, 2018|
**International students are encouraged to apply no later than Round 1. International students are still welcome to apply after this date and will be considered for admission pending space in the program. Please keep in mind that you must have enough time to apply for a study permit if you are granted an offer.
***For domestic applicants only. Late international applications may be accepted pending space availability.
Please note: Your GMAT/GRE score and responses from your referees can be completed after your application has been submitted. A preliminary review of your application will still be done prior to receiving these items.
Students may only submit a single application. Students are not permitted to apply in multiple rounds or to multiple programs.